Friday, June 12, 2009

Si Andong Sabungero nag-Maong nagkaroon ng Anino

Corny! Hahahaha! But that’s to sum all the 4 short films I saw at Independence Film Festival at Shang today. I was a little undecided with the short films coz it was advertised on the paper last Sunday that they’ll show Adolf Alix’s Manila at 230pm and when we got there its not! Liar! Hehehe! But anyway, I would have watched Independencia but I have to go to work, darn! So we settled for the short films.
The first one was Andong by Milo. I don’t know if that’s a screen name or what. But the its my favorite among the four. I would have ranked Anino as my first fave but the kid who played Andong is just so lovely and cute. Not to mention he’s good. Really good for a kid. The story basically is about a kid who always goes to the neighbors house to watch television. He would sometimes drag his little brother so jump from neighbor to neighbor and watch TV, making his mom mad. One time he went to a TV repair owner and overheard the “Manong” and a guy talking about a raffle ticket he’s selling, the grand prize is a colored TV. Andong’s got excited, went home and harassed the mom everyday to give him 20 pesos (bente) so he can buy a ticket for the raffle. I love the harassing part, the lines are so real and the kid’s face is so admirable.

Andong: “Nay, sige na, penge ng bente pesos. Para bente pesos lang eh. Para manalo tayo ng colored TV, diba gusto mo ng colored TV?”
Nanay: “tigilan mo ko Andong, bat pag bumili ka ban g ticket mananalo ka ng TV?!”
Andong: “Bat pag dib a tayo bumili mananalo ba tayo ng TV?”

Sabongero is not bad, but my problem is the whole movie is in Cebuano. Don’t get me wrong, they probably did it to make the movie authentic, I’m not saying Cebuano’s are Sabungero. But for some reason, I don’t think the English subtitles are not exactly the same as the lines said by the characters. I don’t like to go into details coz I’m lazy eh. Hahaha! Basically he’s a sabungero who’d rather buy chicken feeds/tablets than his baby’s milk/diaper. One time he stood up his wife (who’s waiting for him so they can go to the grocery together) just so he can go to a cockpit arena and play sabong. He went home that night and was surprised that the wife found a way to have something for dinner. While he’s eating dinner he asked the wife where she got money to buy dinner, the wife said, “Buti na lang naalala ko yung manok mo!” the husband got mad and hit the wife, when he went outside to throw up, he saw his “manok” inside the cage. Then the wife went up to him, threw him a can of biscuit that contained money which the husband keeps for his rooster. The end.

Manong Maong is a total waste of time. Hahaha! That’s all I can say

Anino by Raymon Red. When I saw the director during the opening credits I know that I’m up for something interesting… and good. And I’m right. From the cast to the story to the music. Its like a good salad. It taste good and you know its good for you.

There you go. My two cents worth. Hopefully I get to see Manila in the future

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home